Sunday, July 24, 2011

getting ready for surgery

On July 13th I had an arthrogram (see the last post!) and though the metal anchors in my hip caused some blurriness (a.k.a. artifact) my surgeon believes that my labrum has become detached and that arthroscopy is our best option. This will allow us to see what's and fix it in a minimally invasive way. Last Thursday we found out that there was a cancellation for this Tuesday and they were able to fit me in! That's the day after tomorrow and I can't believe it. I've been getting ready this weekend (which apparently includes a lot of trips to Target) and I'm incredibly thankful to get this over with during the summer and have the chance to start my senior year without crutches! I hope to have lots of photos and in-depth posts about my recovery. To start things off, here's a pre-surgery list! Packing and getting ready for surgery is a huge part of my mental preparation and it really helps me come to terms with things and feel less anxious.
  
Things to bring:
  • loose fitting pj or sweat pants (if you bring one thing, bring these!) You will want to wear jeans for a week or so after surgery.
  • T-shirt
  • slippers/grippy socks for slippery hospital floors
  • magazines + music
  • a thera band (if you have one and if your protocol includes it) to tie your ankles together to keep your post-op hip for rotating externally.
  • toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, etc.
You're never too old for a stuffed animal and they're great at holding oxygen masks near your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment