Saturday, August 6, 2011

day 1

For the first 24 hours or so post-op I was in the hospital. During that time I would be awake for about 15 minutes then nap for an hour. Very exciting. I was also hooked up to a morphine pump (PCA pump) to keep my pain under control. When I woke up my hip/thigh felt like it had been hit repeatedly with a baseball bat, though everyone's experiences tend to differ. In addition to the pump, I was attached to and IV that kept me hydrated with fluids. I also got three infusions of antibiotic during my stay as this the norm for all surgery patients at my particular hospital.

relaxing on the inpatient floor
Due to the tendency of my hip to dislocate I had to keep my hip immobilized in bed until my brace was delivered that afternoon.
the lovely Pillippon hip brace!
In the late afternoon I was sent off to physical therapy to practice walking on crutches and using stairs. Most hospital won't let you leave until you pass those tests! Then I was drugged up and loaded into the car to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment