Tuesday, February 8, 2011

breaking up (scar tissue) is hard to do

The current plan of attack for my hip pain is to break up the scar tissue from my various surgeries. Scar tissue can build up quickly and cause all kinds of problems not the least of which is pain. I can't give a particularialy scientific explaination to why it forms but it can do all sorts of damage. When scar tissue breaks up naturally (with movement) it can be very painful. I was also told I might even have scar tissue on my labrum causing pain. Having a physical therapist break it up for you isn't fun but it can help.Right now I'm having  graston tools used on my hip. It's much more effective that manual massage and I can even feel the scar tissue breaking. (it feels like bubble wrap is being popped under my skin) It's pretty rough on my hip and I have the bruises to prove it! My physical therapist  suggested that my my Mom can do this at home on the days I don't go to PT. Graston tools are quite pricey but we've found a great alternative: a point turner. It's a sewing tool you can find at a craft store for less and $5. Use the rounded end with a little bit of massage cream. It works well to draw "circles within circles" with the tool on the outside of your hip if you've been having iliotibial band issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment