Saturday, February 26, 2011

getting stronger!

We've got a plan! Sort of. It's been decided that my time at physical therapy is better spent doing isometric exercises to strengthen my muscles. I had never heard of isometrics until I had hip surgery but they can be very useful. In a nutshell  isometrics strengthen major muscles groups (ex: quads and glutes) without joint movement. This important for me (and many FAI patients too) because I may damage my joint if I do typical strength training on exercise machines. Isometrics are mainly done by contracting that muscle group for a few seconds. After spending a good portion of the last few years recovering from surgery or being on crutches my muscles have taken an extended vacation. Strong muscles can help to reduce tendon pain (when muscles are "lazy" tendons have to do more work and can become sore and inflamed with tendinitis).

No comments:

Post a Comment