Saturday, November 27, 2010

diagnosing FAI

When it comes to diagnosing FAI things can be tricky and take a very long time. I was undiagnosed for 14 months which in the grand scheme of things isn't too bad; some people live with the pain for years and years. FAI hasn't come onto the radar of most doctors yet and that may be why it is often overlooked when a patient presents hip pain symptoms. It wasn't until over a year after my symptoms started that an arthrogram was suggested to look for labral tears. (it just so happened that I had labral tears caused by FAI) It is my hope that as more and more cases are diagnosed, more doctors will learn about FAI and the need to find and treat it early in order to reduce joint damage. I am very lucky that my joints are in pretty good shape and that my surgeries were able to help me! During that year I was told some pretty interesting things that make me smile as I look back on them :)
Ty's Laundry List of possible chronic hip pain causes
Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis
reflex sympathetic dystrophy
pain loop
endometriosis
fibromyalgia
angry chis (pronounced "angry cheese")
herniated lumbar disc
lyme disease

No comments:

Post a Comment