Tuesday, November 9, 2010

MRI arthrogram

An arthrogram is usually the best way to diagnose labral tears (and in turn FAI) because it can show cartilage damage that a regular MRI or X-ray usually can't. There was a 14 month gap for me between symptom onset and my diagnosis of FAI and during that time I had multiple X-rays and MRIs of various parts of my hip and back that were all strangely normal. It wasn't until the arthrogram that everything became clear and we knew within minutes what was wrong with my hips! First I was lay down on a table similar to that of an operating table and my hips were cleaned. Then they brought the fluoroscope over the table. A fluoroscope is pretty nifty, it's essentially " real time X-ray " which means instead of still pictures it's a video of your bones. Which, I admit isn't all that nifty if all you're doing is lying on a table. BUT you do get to see the needle go into your joint and release the contrast fluid. First, you get a bit of number injected so you don't feel the needle (They told me it was just like getting Novocaine at the dentist. I had never done that before, so I was completely terrified the first time I got a filling after the arthrogram! In my opinion the number is the worst part as it can sting, but after that the hard part's over) Then the put in the contrast (BIG needle) which just felt like pressure to me. After that it was off to the scanner which is noisy (think woodpeckers with construction equipment) but painless. My joints felt a bit wobbly for a few hours after but that was about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment