Wednesday, January 12, 2011

post-op ideas

My family and I went into my first open surgery not knowing what to expect. We had gone to a long pre-op clinic beforehand and learned that it would be rough and  got the basic concept of surgery and recovery. Beyond that we weren't too sure what little problems we might encounter and other little details. Having to experience the same exact surgery three months later was sacry (we knew what would be hard) but it was also reassuring not having there be any unknowns. I try to keep track of the things that made my recovery easier knowing. Some of them apply only to open surgery but most of them are for hip surgery in general.
  • If you are the kind of person who wears nail polish (like me!) remove it before you go to the hospital. Most hospitals require this because the OR team needs to check circulation during surgery. They do this by looking at your toenails. who knew.
  • If you'll be spending a few nights at the hospital bring a lightweight blanket (fleece is good). It can keep your legs warm in  the wheelchair, prop up an air mask so you don't have to hold it and if you roll it up it can keep your "good" leg from roatating inward when your "bad" leg is in CPM
  • Have your CPM and any other rented supplies delivered before you go to the hospital
  • arrange for sleeping arrangements on the first floor for at least a few days. pain meds+crutches+stairs=very bad
  • If you've had open surgery please have someone shift your position slightly every couple of hours while you're not able to get out of bed. Prevention IS the best medicine. I am assigning absolutly no blame, my hospital is fantastic, but I did it a pressure ulcer/bedsore on my heel after my first surgery. Healing was a huge process that I wouldn't want anyone else to go through.
  • If you live more than 1/2 hour away from your hospital, stock your getaway vehicle with at least three pillows to prop your leg up with when you're going home after surgery.
  • If you know you'll be on more than a few medications after surgery have someone make you a med chart while you're in the hospital. It's helpful to have a chart with times and dosing on it so you don't forget anything.
Got any other suggestions? Let me know please!

No comments:

Post a Comment