Saturday, January 1, 2011

muscles ligaments and tendons oh my

I do not have a good relationship with my IT band. In fact I think it may borderline on an abusive relationship. Oh  well. Since I've had hip surgery I've learned quite a bit about hip anatomy. More than sometimes I'd like to know. The biggest thing I've learned is that there are a lot of muscles, tendons etc. in your hip that you might not even know exist until they decide to go on strike. About 1/2 of my hip problems caused by FAI have bee joint (bone or cartilage) related. The other 1/2 have been muscle and tendon problems related to FAI. In fact I spent 6 months on crutches due to muscle atrophy and tendinitis. Pretty crazy to think that even though now my joints are now normally shaped (yay!) the various problems related to being on crutches, having surgery, suddenly changing the shape of my bones and simply growing are tremendous and that I still deal with them today. The iliotibial band runs from your low back to the outside of your knee. It's pretty darn big. Because of many causes mine (left only) is much too tight to the point of needing surgery to release it. The moral if this little story is that you should never take your muscles and tendons for granted. I would only think about my bone and cartilage and labrum but it is equally important to take care of all of your hips. Ice and physical therapy are great but sometimes rest is the best. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment